The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council to act as the city's general counsel. He serves as chief legal advisor to the elected City Council, the City Manager, city departments, and all appointed boards and commissions. He attends all meetings of the City Council, and other boards and commissions as necessary and provides them with legal advice.
Other responsibilities include managing outside attorneys, reviewing and negotiating contracts and agreements, and providing advice on labor and employment issues. At the direction of the city, the City Attorney and his deputies also:
- Provide legal opinions when requested by the City Council and City Manager
- Help draft and review legislation, such as changes to the Municipal Code and Council resolutions
- Enforce city laws and regulations, including violations of the Municpal Code
- Represent the city in civil court actions and administrative proceeding
- Review and analyze state and federal legislation affecting the city
- Act as general counsel to the Successor Agency to the Santee Community Development Commission, the Santee Public Financing Authority and the city's Santee Manufactured Home Fair Practices Commission.
The City Attorney's Office does not provide private legal advice to citizens nor does it prosecute state or federal criminal laws.
Best Best & Krieger LLP
655 W Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101