An Encroachment permit from the Engineering Division is required for any work taking place within the City’s Right-of-Way (typically 10 feet behind the curb or 5 feet behind the sidewalk) this includes:
- Replacement, repair, or installation of a new driveway
- Curb under-drains and drain lines within the curb (curb core)
- Retaining walls or any permanent structures located within in the City’s Right-of-way.
- Street closures/Block Parties
The City of Santee Encroachment Ordinance regulates work that takes place within City right of way, provides information on when a permit is required and specifies what is required to obtain an encroachment permit.
For residents, the City has prepared a "How to Guide on Encroachment Permits" that provides helpful information on what is needed to obtain an encroachment permit. Standard drawings are available in the City Amended Driveway Standards and for Sidewalk/Curb Drains .
For new development projects, information on what is required to be submitted with the first improvement plan check is included in the project conditions of approval. Plans should be prepared on the City’s standard title block: Improvement Title Sheets 1 & 2 (Commercial). Plan should submitted in-person by appointment.
When and Where Permits are Issued:
Encroachment Permits can be obtained at City Hall, Department of Development Services, 10601 Magnolia Avenue Building 4, (619) 258-4100 during the following hours:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Friday
Please allow 10 working days for processing Encroachment Permits.
Fees and PaymentsThe fee for the Encroachment Permit can be calculated using The City of Santee Fee Schedule
The City of Santee accepts payment of permits by cash, check or credit card.
- Encroachment Ordinance
- Plot Plan Standards & Check List
- Improvement Title Sheets 1 & 2 (Commercial)
- City Modified G24 and G34
- City Modified G-17 Alley Apron
- Traffic Control Title Sheet 1 (pdf)
- Traffic Control Title Sheet 2 (pdf)
- Traffic Control Title Sheet 1 (dwg.zip)
- Traffic Control Title Sheet 2 (dwg.zip)