State law requires the City of Santee to collect a deposit intended to encourage the diversion of construction waste from local landfills. At time of permit issuance, the City will collect a deposit based on the type and size of the project. The current deposit rates are:
|Project Type||Deposit Per Square Foot||Maximum Deposit Required|
|New Construction||$ 0.20||$35,000|
The deposit requirements shall apply to the following projects:
- Demolition of a structure involving one thousand square feet or more.
• The construction of new residential structures, including single-family, multifamily, and condo conversions, regardless of the square footage of the floor area.
• Additions or accessory structures to existing residential structures that involve one thousand five hundred square feet or more of floor area.
• The construction of all new commercial/industrial buildings.
• Additions or accessory structures to existing commercial or industrial structures that involve one thousand five hundred square feet or more of floor area.
• Tenant improvements that involve demolition of one thousand square feet or more of floor area.
There are certain exemptions, please see Chapter 13.38 of Santee Municipal Code.
At the end of construction, you must submit documentation and proof that you recycled or re-used 65% or more of all construction & demolition (C&D) wastes by weight. If you achieve this goal, the entire deposit will be refunded to you.